Happenstance

At 1:25 today, I made the conscious decision to stop trying to connect with other people on the streets of New York City.  Too often I'd been burned: no "hello," no polite nod of the head, not even a half-second smile.  In fact, the only person who'd made eye contact with me all morning was a drunk, homeless man wearing a Santa hat.  I would go straight to Penn Station, glancing around only to look for a place to grab lunch on my way.

At 1:30 today, I felt a slap across my chest while I was walking up Broadway Avenue.  I spun around to see who had hit me, but before I had time to register the face, I heard Jim's customary greeting, "Whuddup, Sammas?"

At 1:31 today, I decided that New York City is not as big as it seems.  In addition to randomly getting to have lunch with Jim in Midtown, I had also run into Kristine, a first year UVA medical student, yesterday while crossing Times Square.

And so, I continue to collect evidence to support my theory that New York is just a small town pretending to be the most populous city in the United States of America.

Thanks to Cal the Cripple for hosting me this visit.  Until next time, NYC!

No comments: