Occupy Waynesboro

Christmas is the time... for nostalgia.  Last week, when Russell took me to his friend's house to sing around the piano, I couldn't help but think of all the fun I had singing with Caroline in college.  Like me, she grew up surrounded by church music, and like me, she knows every word to every song in the Baptist hymnal.  So that night when I realized she'd be back in Virginia for the holidays, I sent her the following message: "I'm totally driving to Waynesboro to visit you and you can't stop me."

True to my word, when I got back to DC yesterday, I took a little detour on my way home to Richmond and stopped by Caroline's parents' house.  I hung out with Caroline and Erik, caught them up on what has been going on in my life, and heard all about what it's like to be new homeowners in Texas.  I ended up spending the night there, and when I woke up this morning, Caroline's mom prepared a breakfast of ham, eggs, and grits for us.  What a great way to start off my Christmas weekend!  We joked about turning this into a new tradition, but we'll see if they're still laughing next year when I show up on their front porch hungry and asking for food.

As fun as it has been to traipse around the mid-Atlantic for the past week, I'm glad to say that I am finally home with my parents and Titan.  I'm officially ready for Christmas, so bring it on!

No comments: