Checked Out

I had to write a check to the International Studies Office to cover my Guatemala trip expenses today, and when I tore it out, I found that it was the last one in the packet.  This is only the second pack I've gone through in my entire life, which should give you an idea of how often I write checks.  Let's take a stroll down memory lane and see what other checks I've written.

#101. Albert Einstein College of Medicine - Ah yes, the $100 check you had to send in with every secondary medical school application submitted.  Man, I do not miss those days.

#102. Phi Beta Kappa - My $80 membership dues.  Yeah, I'm a nerd, so what?

#103. Cravens & Noll - To pay $750 to the attorney who defended me when I was charged with reckless driving for going 81mph in a 65mph zone.  Not my brightest moment.

#104. VCU - I can't believe I had to pay them $5 for a copy of my dual enrollment transcript, or that they wouldn't accept a credit card for the transaction.

#105. Kathy - I paid her $25 for a CD of all of the headshots she took of me for the Jefferson Scholars Foundation Annual Report.  Worth it.

#106. City of Charlottesville - $15 for what I can only assume was a parking ticket.  Poop.

#107. Mulholland Society - Given the crazy amount of $1705.18, I can only assume that this was a transfer of funds into our alcohol account.

#108. Montfair Farm - Written during the peak of Social Co-Chair craziness, this was a $1675 payment to book the lodge for our annual bonfire.

#109. Kathy - Um, I guess I ordered some more pictures from her?  For another $10?

#110. Richard - This was the year that we didn't mow our lawn for so long that no civilian equipment could have done the job, so I had to pay a professional $30 to do it.

#111. Hasbrouk Real Estate - The month Pete was out of town and I had to cover our rent.  Oh, how I miss first year, when we paid $1200/month for a six-bedroom house.

#112. Nicole - Memo says "tubing refund" for $34.  She missed out on a rainy trip, where we (apparently) erroneously decided that it's safer to be in the water during a thunderstorm than out of it.

#113. Lee - $170 for our first whitewater rafting trip down the New River.  It's the trip that started a tradition.

#114. HBREC - Oops!  My property manager found out that my roommate and I had two dogs in the house and made us pay the monthly pet fee for the first time.

#115. Jerry - I had to pay him $400 to provide the audio equipment for the first ever First Harmonics/Arrhythmics joint concert.

#116. Matt - Before he moved to LA to pursue his dream of being a professional dancer, he was our VMed Prom disc jockey for $350.

#117. Jordan - In order to satisfy the stringent Newcomb rules, I had to pay an undergrad $25 to be "party manager" at our VMed Prom.

#118. Alex - Scratch that, I had to pay two undergrads $25 to be "party managers" at our VMed Prom.

#119. UVA Police Department - Er, the cops were also guarding the VMed Prom for the low price of $399.30 for the night.  This was the safest prom OF ALL TIME.

#120. HBREC Escrow - I wrote a check for $100 to act as the pet deposit for our house, since I never paid one in the first place.

#121. HBREC Escrow - I tore up the last check and wrote a new one for $200 to cover both my dog and Celeste's cat.

#122. Sean - Sadly, our Gauley rafting trip was cut short by a death on the river, so I had to reimburse him $121.50.

#123. Matt - Same story as above.

#124. Matt - $85 for "Books and Crabs."  In the literal sense of both words.

#125. University of Virginia - This would be the aforementioned Guatemalan expenses, which amounted to $350.

It's hard to believe that I'll be in the country in less than ten days.  HOLA, MIS AMIGOS!!

No comments: