Multiple Destination Trip

I have returned from touring the great state of Ohio.  I can't believe how much I've driven over the past three days: Charlottesville to Cincinnati to Cleveland to Charlottesville.  While on the road, I finished the audio version of John Grisham's 2010 legal thriller, The Confession.  It's a pretty grim tale, but the plotline is easy to digest and the morals of the tale are basically laid out for you, making it a nice read (or listen), especially when you're driving through the flat Midwestern countryside.

My favorite part of the trip there was when I stopped in Beckley to grab some lunch.  When I hit the road again, I accidentally passed the ramp for the highway and had to turn around.  The next street where I was able to do that happened to be the entrance to the famed VA Medical Center that we have all heard so much about as third year med students.  Unable to believe that I had finally gotten to see the hospital with my own eyes, I quickly snapped a picture through my windshield before getting back on the highway.


My favorite part of the trip back was the naps I took along the way.  I was supposed to be back by 8pm, but I was over half an hour late because twice I got so drowsy while driving that I had to stop for a 15-minute nap.  The first one took place in the parking lot of a Days Inn, while the second one took place at a truck stop.  It wasn't even a real rest area, just a strip next to the highway with three Porta-Potties.  I pulled in between two eighteen-wheelers and quickly passed out, grateful to be awoken by my alarm a few minutes later with no serial killer staring through my driver seat window.

Thanks to Lisa for hanging out with me while I was in Cincinnati and to Hassan for hosting me while I was in Cleveland.  It's gonna be good to sleep in my own bed tonight, though!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahhahahahhahahah oh sam.
grace