Occupy D.C.

I just spent three days in our nation's capital, and I feel at least three times as patriotic as I did before I arrived.

The path to Washington was a long and difficult one.  The streets of the city were designed in the Baroque style, based on old European cities like Amsterdam, Paris, and Milan.  They might as well have been designed simply to confuse and fluster me.  It took me half an hour of driving up and down Massachusetts Avenue before I finally figured out where I was and how to get where I wanted to be.

Aside from that, though, my visit was awesome.  On Saturday morning, Russell and I met up with Leslie for brunch in Georgetown, followed by some Christmas shopping in the fancy boutique shops in the area.  We also stopped by the local Barnes & Noble, where we learned that there is now a literary genre known as Paranormal Romance, and there are enough titles to cover three (yes, three) bookshelves.


Eventually Leslie had to go to her call for a concert that her choir was putting on that afternoon, so Russell and I walked over to the Mall to check out the National Museum of American History.  My favorite exhibitions were America on the Move, which as its name implies, is about transportation, and The Star-Spangled Banner: The Flag That Inspired the National Anthem, where the original flag that Francis Scott Key gazed upon is on display.

That night, we went to a party with some of Russell's choir friends, where we spent half the time singing around the piano and half of the time singing along to karaoke videos on YouTube.  Truth be told, it made me very nostalgic for my own choir friends from undergrad.

And now DC is but a dream to me, as I have already moved on.  Thanks to Russell for hosting me while I was in town.  And where am I now, you ask?  Betcha can't guess...

No comments: