I Did It For the Lulz

It was because of my own hubris.  I had a flight out of JFK at 6am, and I thought that I had given myself enough time to get to the airport from Christin's place.  Well, I would have, if the E train had not been taken out of service for track repairs.

That was only the beginning of my mistakes.  At that point, I should have just sucked it up and paid the $50 for a taxi, but I was too proud.  I would make it to the airport via the A train.  Sure, it would be cutting it close, but I wasn't going to throw money away taking a cab.

Yet another error.  I didn't factor in the time it would take for me to get from the JFK subway stop to Terminal 7, which put me there after the check-in time for my flight had ended.  To rub salt on the wound, I had actually already checked in online and would have been able to make my flight had I printed my boarding pass before I arrived at the airport.

All was not lost: the attendant offered to let me sit standby on the next flight for free.  That is, until she learned that the next flight was overbooked, so there was no chance of me making it on.

Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong went wrong, and I ended up having to pay $150 to take the next flight from LaGuardia back to Charlottesville.  Yes, you read that right: after working so hard to get to JFK, I had to backtrack to LaGuardia.

When something goes horribly wrong, I can usually count on it being a good story and play it off as something I did for the lulz.  But this time, I'm not lulzing, because I'm going to be late to my Advanced Physical Diagnosis session, and I'm $150 poorer for it.  Womp womp.

No comments: