Wedding of the Century

Forget Kate and William.  I just got back from the wedding to end all weddings.  This weekend, two of my best friends in the entire world, Steph and Stevie, got married.  It has truly been a long time coming: they are high school sweethearts that started dating eight years ago.


Steph and Stevie did me the honor of asking me to be the pianist at their wedding.  They then did me the favor of picking some really difficult pieces to play for the ceremony.  I guess it's partially my fault, since I wouldn't let them use any of the overplayed songs in the wedding repertoire.  I should have known that this would open up the possibility of choosing songs I'd never even heard before.

So I've played for dozens of weddings, but this one takes the prize as being the first one that made me cry.  I just couldn't hold it back when Steph and Stevie started reading their self-written vows at the altar.  After all, I've known Stevie since the sixth grade and I don't even remember not knowing Steph.  I've been through more with the two of them than most other people I can name.

While I worked pretty hard during the wedding service, the reception was the perfect time for me to kick back.  It was held at the beautiful Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and it takes the (wedding) cake for being the best party I've ever been to.  Stevie's little brothers were without a doubt the center of all the attention.  I was seriously jealous of their sick dance moves.


The wedding reception eventually came to an end, but we were nowhere near done partying.  We donned our costumes and headed over to Capital Ale House, where we found the basement game room entirely empty and proceeded to take it over.  It was great, because we ended up with a private Halloween party at no cost.  Personally, I took advantage of the fact that I was already wearing a suit and dressed up as Clark Kent.


Before we knew it, the bar was closing and we had to head back to the hotel.  But first, we managed to snap this picture, filled with some of my favorite people from college, high school, and yes, even middle school.  I can't even put into words how much I love these guys.


Steph and Stevie, I know yesterday was supposed to be all about you guys, but thanks for making it the best day of my life along the way.  God bless you as you start on the best journey of your life.  I'll always be here for you, and I wish you all of the happiness that you deserve!

No comments: