I'll Make a Man Out of You

For as long as I've had him, Titan has peed like a girl.  He has never raised a leg to pee like other male dogs.  He has always squatted down low on his two back legs.  Concerned about my dog's refusal to conform to the usual gender stereotypes, I searched all over the interwebz to determine the diagnosis and the treatment.  Evidently this behavior is common amongst male dogs that were neutered too early, preventing them from doing typical male dog things like marking their territory, fighting for dominance, and, yes, raising one leg to pee.  Oh, and there is no cure.

But today, a breakthrough!  When I let Titan out in the yard this morning to "get busy" (the command I use to make him pee), he walked over to the bushes, hiked his right leg as high as he could, and peed like all the other male dogs!  I was so proud of him.  My three-year old son, peeing like a real man-dog!

Of course, my celebration was cut short this afternoon when I came home from work, let Titan out into the yard, and watched as he resumed his squatting stance to pee.  It's okay, Titan.  I will always love you for who you are, not how you pee.

No comments: