Reading for Fun

I don't think I can even remember the last book I read for pleasure.  Curses, med school!  You did this to me!  But I promised myself that after I finished my ACE, I would start reading again.  And just now I finished my first book in years: Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis.  It's actually been sitting on my bookshelf for a long time, and I never got around to it, so I'm glad I finally got the chance to cross it off my list.


I didn't know when I started the book that it was adapted from a series of BBC radio talks that Lewis gave during World War II.  The sections on Hope and Christian Behavior take on a whole new meaning when put into the context of a war-torn country constantly under the threat of bombs and destruction.  Even without that context, the book is remarkably well-written.  While Lewis is no theologian, his mastery of words and imagery help him convey the deepest truths of Christianity in a very accessible way.  I highly recommend this book, and if you've already read it, please let me know, because I'd love to discuss it with someone else!

Round 6: Things You'll Learn in Medical School
1. You diagnose a patient with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. What organ is affected by this disease?
2. A mother brings her young son to clinic with questions about pediculosis. What is the common name for this condition frequently found in children who go to daycare?
3. Tommy’s fraternity brothers make fun of him because when he gets drunk, he can’t suppress his urge to eat dirt and clay. What medical condition does he have?
4. Your patient has a disease whose cause is unfortunately unknown. What kind of disease is it?
5. According to pharmaceutical analysis agency IMS Health, what was the most commonly prescribed medication in the United States in the year 2010?
6. Effin’ A, this guy needs an FNA! Wait, what does he need?
7. President John F. Kennedy was famously rumored to have what endocrine diseases?
8. What familiar piece of a doctor’s equipment was invented by the French physician René Théophile Hyacinthe Laënnec in 1819?

2 comments:

Sammas said...

1. Heart
2. Lice
3. Pica
4. Idiopathic
5. Hydrocodone (painkiller)
6. Fine-needle aspiration
7. Addison's disease
8. Stethoscope

Janice Dean said...

I've read Mere Christianity (well, the first half-ish of it). I enjoyed the beginning, but Lewis lost me as a reader in the chapter on Sexual Morality. UGH. I know it was a different era and he was of a different generation, but I couldn't slog through his unexamined patriarchal assumptions to get to the rest of the book. You'll have to tell me how it ended. :-P