A Night of Firsts

Not to be confused with A Day of Firsts.


Last night, Bish and I went to the Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers and Bela Fleck & the Flecktones concert downtown.  We walked there, and it was the first time that I had a cup of ice flung at me from a passenger in a car.  It hurt.

We got there, and Bela Fleck was already onstage.  I was confused as to why Bruce Hornsby played such a short opening act, and then Bish and I were informed that Bruce Hornsby was the main act and that Bela Fleck was opening for him, not the other way around.  It was the first time that I went to a concert where I didn't even know which group was headlining.

Bish and I had to show our IDs to prove that we were over 21 years old.  When the lady looked at my driver's license, she asked me what my birthday was.  It was the first time that anyone has thought that I had a fake ID and then quiz me on my information.

We hung around for a while, both pretty upset that we'd missed half of the Flecktones' performance.  To top it off, Bruce Hornsby wasn't really keeping us entertained.  It was very formulaic: he'd start off a song playing only the piano (I liked this), then another instrument would come in, providing a counter-melody (I also liked this), but then the sound would keep building with more and more instruments until it just be came noise (I didn't like this).  My favorite song they performed was a bluegrass tune, but then they had to go and ruin it by bringing in loud drums.  Plus, everything they played was incredibly simple and, frankly, boring.  So we left to come home and watch NOVA on Netflix.  It was the first time I've ever left a concert early.

No comments: