Fit as a Fiddle

I've been pretty concerned about Titan for the past 24 hours.  Yesterday morning, I noticed that he passed some dark and tarry stools when I walked him.  He had another black stool in the afternoon that smelled particularly metallic, and I began to run through a differential of gastrointestinal diagnoses in my head: gastric/duodenal ulcer vs. bowel ischemia vs. varices vs. AVMs vs. cancer.

I was so concerned, in fact, that I performed a fecal occult blood test at home this morning.  Luckily, the color his bowel movements returned to brown, and the FOBT was negative.  I considered posting a picture on my blog, but decided not to publish photos of poop smears for the sake of anyone and everyone who might be reading this.

So, the good news is that Titan is not having an upper GI bleed.  The bad news is that he may still develop one in the future given his history of chewing on glass.

No comments: