Family Medicine Recap

I just came out of my Family Medicine Shelf exam (a surprisingly difficult one, I might add), and I'm ready to share my views on the specialty with each and every one of you.  So gather around, children, and listen well to Grandpa Sammas.

Pros:
- You get to see some of everything.  Which, in the case of a Shelf exam, is a bad thing.  But, in the case of a career, is pretty freaking awesome.
- You get to develop long-term relationships with your patients.  Dr. Reinhardt has been seeing some of his patients for longer than since I've been alive.  And they bring him pastries from Ukrop's.
- Theoretically, and depending on the way the healthcare climate changes over the next few years, I can still practice OB if I go into either academic or rural medicine.

Cons:
- The pay is crappy and often so is the respect you get from other physicians.
- Not all long-term relationships are rewarding.  There are definitely some patients you don't want to have to see for the rest of their lives.
- Dealing with chronic diseases can be tedious... so maybe I should just be a Pediatric generalist instead?

Well, I've thought enough about Family Medicine for one day.  I guess I'll make the decision after I complete my Family Medicine ACE in July.  I have enough on my plate to deal with right now.  Like getting out of the hospital in time to buy a ticket to tonight's Who's Bad concert.

No comments: