What's My Age Again?

Every year when I interview at the Richmond Region Jefferson Scholar Competition, I walk away with a sense of awe.  I'm always amazed at what these high school students have been able to accomplish in their short lives.

Today I walked away with a different feeling.  The interviews are held at Hunton & Williams LLP, which means that we need our parking passes validated before we leave the building.  While stamping my pass, the secretary asked me how everything went.  "Oh, it was great!  I had a lot of fun," I replied.  It wasn't until I turned around to walk away that I realized the secretary had thought I was one of the 17-year-old high school seniors interviewing for the scholarship.

I used to think that people believed me to be younger than I actually was because Chinese people tend to look youthful anyway.  But apparently that's not all.  Several people I met in China over my winter break also asked me what grade I was in high school.  When, when will I finally look my age??

1 comment:

Garrett said...

Apparently it's the same for us whities, Sam. When in line at a shrine on New Years, Carly reported that a group of Japanese high schoolers behind her were whispering about her, wondering her age. One suspected her to be 12 years old (!), at which point Carly turned around abruptly and came them a sharp and slightly annoyed, "REALLY?!" in Japanese. No one is safe, Sam. No. One.