All the Pretty Horses

Thanks to Fall Back, I got to spend half of the weekend in Charlottesville, drive back late last night, and still get enough sleep to be semi-functional at work today.  And what a great half of the weekend it was!  I think I'm starting to become a hippophile.  Between Foxfields, the Harriman Cup, and the events that transpired yesterday, I can now say that my entire medical school experience has been a blur of activity with sporadic breaks for equine-themed events.

We had an early start to the day, as Timmy, Ned, Paul, and I arrived at the races around 11am.  There weren't a lot of people there yet, so we set up Paul's cornhole set in the middle of the infield parking area.  Several people who had apparently never seen a game of cornhole stopped to watch us play.  One of them asked Paul, "So you like to play cornhole, huh?"  Awkward!!

When we weren't playing cornhole, we were either eating free samples from the kettle corn station, which was run by this insanely cool and insanely bizarre looking man and his wife,


feasting on the delicious nomz at the tailgate that belonged to Timmy and Ned's friends,


trying to crawl through the ladder golf set without touching any of the borders,


watching Randy somehow beat all of the girls in a game of Limbo,


cheering on the races,


breaking the rules of the raceway,


or simply enjoying the beautiful grounds of Montpelier as we strolled away into the sunset.


The only thing that was missing yesterday?  Christin, who is quite possibly the only person I know who loves the triad of dressing up, watching horses, and day drinking more than I do.  You'd better be here for this next year, Christin!!

1 comment:

Christin said...

i read this whole thing with such intense jealousy. then shout out to me!! yayy!!!

im so there next year.

p.s. i bought my hat for foxfield 2011...a month ago.