A Story for the Ages

I just got back from spending the weekend in New York City, and the events of the past three days are simply too much to encapsulate in one blog post.  Tonight, I will only endeavor to tackle Day 1, which I have lovingly entitled Sorry, I Party: The True Story of the 2010 Harriman Cup.

It all began with that fateful BoltBus ride from DC to NYC.  I didn't get in to Cal, Jim, and Kevin's apartment until 2:30 in the morning.  Kevin went straight to bed, but Jim wanted to stay up and hang out.  Finally, at 4am, I realized that I needed to be up and drinking in less than five hours.  I took advantage of Cal's empty bed and slept soundly through the night.  Okay, that's a complete lie, because THE PEOPLE AND CARS IN NEW YORK CITY ARE SO FREAKING LOUD.

But nothing could put a damper on what was to be the best day of my life.  When Kevin, Teie, and I arrived at Penn Station, I wasn't exactly sure where we were supposed to go.  But then, I saw them.  The herd.  The herd of young men wearing salmon pants and pretty ladies in floppy hats.  And I knew that if I followed them, I would be safe.

If you went to UVA, I'd like for you to picture a bus full of sorority girls on their way to Foxfields.  Now, instead of a charter bus, imagine a 20-car train.  And instead of only preppy college kids, imagine that there's also a handful of adults and children trying to commute from NYC to Long Island.  The innocent bystanders have no idea what is going on around them, and their surprise and disdain are betrayed by their eyes, all of which are bugging out of their heads.

But not even my excitement from being surrounded by all that is stereotypical about UVA could prepare me for the day ahead.  When we finally arrived at the polo grounds, we were greeted by beautiful weather, lush grass, and the opportunity to do this:


I know this is hard to believe, but the Harriman Cup might actually be better than the Foxfield Races.  Why?  First of all, it features a sport that you can watch at all times instead of the slim chance of catching 5 seconds worth of horses every few hours.  Second of all, there's a giant dance party after the game's over.  Just look at all of the pink!


But the day didn't end there.  We took the shuttle--I mean, the yellow school bus--back to the Westbury train station, only to have the train pull away just as we reached the platform.  It was like a scene out of a movie, and I may have screamed and fallen to my knees.  Actually, I may have done many things at this point, none of which I can currently recall.  Anyhoo, since the next train wasn't for another hour, we were left with no choice but to wander the streets of Long Island until we found a bar.

We managed to find a place that served alcohol, but I really hesitate to call it a "bar," because it was more of a catering establishment.  It did, however, have a giant room in the back that I think is used for wedding receptions.  The owners were like, "Oh, come back here, we'll play music for you."  Meanwhile, we were all like, "WTF IS THIS PLACE??" and (re)commenced our drinking.


I don't have much to say about the ensuing train ride home, not because it wasn't eventful, but because I don't remember any of it.  Apparently, though, I spent the entire subway ride from Penn Station back to the apartment passed out on top of the cooler.  In the middle of the subway door.  So that people had to shimmy around me to get on or off of the subway.  Jen later told me that everyone was staring and/or glaring at me, yet nobody dared to disturb me as I sat hunched over on my throne.

Finally, we made it home, only to discover that Cal had arrived several minutes earlier via taxi.  Then Cal and I began verbally and physically abusing each other, as normal friends ought to do.  Upset about being left out of the fight, Kevin started taunting Cal so that Cal would direct some of his anger towards him as well.  Not wanting to leave Jim out of a good tussle, I started picking up things laying around the room and throwing them at him.  Oh, don't worry, this is typical for us.


Ah, another day that can't be remembered but won't be forgotten.  Tomorrow, I will continue recounting the stories of my travels.  There is but more to come!

No comments: