Breakfast of Champions

By the grace of God, the medical students didn't have to attend Plastic Surgery conference this morning.  They were having a resident meeting in place of the normal presentations, so we were excused for two hours to do whatever we wanted.  Zoe, Matt, and I opted to make a breakfast run to Bodo's Bagels.  I mean, let's be serious, it was a no-brainer.

Even though we went to breakfast after we had finished rounding on our patients, we were still amongst the first patrons of the day.  In fact, I was only the 11th person to walk into Bodo's this morning... despite having being awake for almost three hours already.


I ordered my standard ham and egg on everything wheat bagel with lettuce and sprouts.  Mmm, dericious.

The icing on the cake was that after we ate, we still had over an hour before the first surgery for the day was scheduled, which I happily filled with the most glorious nap of all time.  I always knew that the library was attached to the hospital for a reason...

OR ABSURDITY OF THE DAY:
One of our patients was extremely nervous about having surgery performed on her, so I offered to let her hold my hand while everyone was prepping her for surgery.  I did not realize how long the process would take or how strong her grip was (she would get a 5+ for finger strength on the Neuro exam).  I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fingers were entirely numb by the time she finally fell asleep and relaxed her hand.

2 comments:

Janice Dean said...

I recently had an outpatient procedure at the UVa hospital, and the resident doctor who was performing the procedure (I'll tell you what it was later, if you really want to know :-P) allowed me to hold his hand while the anesthesia took effect. I really, really, really appreciated it, and I'm sure your patient did, too. Good job, Sam. Also, apparently I metabolize drugs reaaaaaally fast because not only did it take twice as much to knock me out as they expected, but I also started to wake up in the middle... My doctor told me to warn the nurse the next time I have anesthia. ::nervous laugh::

Janice Dean said...

How did I spell anesthesia right the first time and not the second? ::sigh::