Burn, Baby, Burn

Today was hands down the best day I've had yet in Plastic Surgery.  During our two burn cases, I got to remove the skin graft from the donor site, create the skin graft meshing, and apply the graft.  ZOMG!  It's the most I've gotten to do during any given procedure, and it will undoubtedly be one of the most memorable days of my third year of medical school.

The only downside is that during skin grafts, we have to heat the operating room to approximately 90 degrees Fahrenheit in order to help the burn patients maintain normal body temperature.  Needless to say, I was sweating like a pig under my scrub gown.  True story: it became so hot at one point that the anesthesiologists' computers started malfunctioning and churning out weird values.

OR ABSURDITY OF THE DAY:
I must have developed an allergy to Avagard, the hand sanitizer used at UVA after you do your full ten-minute scrub in the morning.  This afternoon, I broke out in rashes all over both of my arms between the elbows and the wrists.  I look like I have some frightening skin condition, but I promise it's not contagious.


UGH, DO NOT WANT!!

No comments: