Zhong Wen

I just got back from a really weird trip to Walmart.  When I was ready to check out, I walked up to the Chinese-looking cashier and greeted her with my typical, "Hi, how are you?"  She responded with, "Ai, ni hao."  Afraid that I had just imagined she was talking in Chinese since I'd been around my parents and their friends for the past two weeks, I continued speaking to her in English.  And she continued replying to me in Mandarin.  After a few exchanges, I finally gave in and bewilderingly said goodbye to her in Chinese, too.

Anyway, the point of going to Walmart was to buy a new lunch box because my old one that I'd used since sophomore year of high school finally broke.  Eh, I guess its time had come anyway.  But imagine my surprise when my new lunch box rang up on the register as "SECRETBUCKET."  So cool!

No comments: