Highs and Lows

Today has taken me through a roller coaster of emotions.  The best parts were getting to watch two of my undergraduate singing groups in concert.  This morning, Jubilate presented their annual Lessons and Carols during the morning church service at University Baptist Church, and this afternoon, the University Singers performed their annual Family Holiday Concert with the Charlottesville & University Symphony Orchestra.  Perhaps the highlight of my day was singing "five gold rings" in four-part harmony with Lindsay, Russell, and Sam.  Gah, I love everything about the Christmas season, but especially the music!

On the opposite side of the spectrum was the candlelight vigil we held for John this evening.  Several family members as well as classmates gave moving testimonies about his life, and I think it would be safe to say that in the short time we have known him, John has touched every one of us.  Unfortunately for me, I naively offered to play the organ at the beginning of the vigil while people were being seated so as to cover the awkward silence.  Next time, I'll try to remember not to sight read songs from the Mormon hymnal on an instrument that I haven't touched in years...

No comments: