18. Meeting New Friends

Over the past few days, we have made the acquantice of several Mahuas (white people) here in Lesotho. Allow me to introduce them to you.

A few nights ago, a Spaniard by the name of Xavi came through Mokhotlong and spent the night in one of the dorm rooms at GROW. He was a freelance journalist and was simply passing through Lesotho during his travels through South Africa. He had recently been in Joburg, where he was covering the Confederations Cup. Apparently, he got to sit in the Media Box and cover all of the games first-hand. If only I had met him while I was in South Africa...

The other day, we were doing some shopping for groceries when we met Rachel, one of the Peace Corps volunteers here. She lives in a village that is approximately a six hour walk from Mokhotlong, where we are staying. We walked around town together and got to know her pretty well, and she's very chill. She is also best friends with Jeff, a third year in med school with me. What are the chances? Also, she has a Basotho boyfriend, so you know she has to be cool.

Tonight we met the new Peace Corps volunteer, who will also be working with GROW. Her name is Christine, and she seemed nice, but I don't want another American vying for the attention of the GROW employees. Only time will tell which of us will come up on top, but I have a feeling it will be me. MWAHAHA!

No comments: