I Bless the Rains Down in Africa

I just booked my flights to and from Africa for this summer. Wait... I'm going to Africa!? It still hasn't really sunk in. I'll be spending four weeks in Lesotho with an interdisciplinary team from UVA, and we'll be teaching local healthcare providers how to care for AIDS patients, working on the community rabbit-raising project, and evaluating the work that has been done there over the past few years.

We start work on July 9, but I'll actually be going two weeks before the rest of my team to hang out with Russell in Johannesburg. Hopefully his work schedule will allow him to take me around to some other places in South Africa, too. My new goal is to spend part of my fourth year in South America and take a vacation to Australia during one of our remaining breaks so I can say that I've traveled to every continent by the time I graduate medical school. Now that's one goal that I CAN attain... with the help of some serious student loans. Hooray for living in debt!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every continent, Sam? Have you been to Antarctica?

Sammas said...

ok that one doesnt count. im pretty sure there are no commercial airline flights to antarctica.

Grace said...

congrats on the booking! i just booked my ticket too for the summer!!