Killer Instinct

Every year, the president of the medical school is assassinated at the hospital staff meeting in the spring. It's a horrid affair, but it is an effective way of keeping our leaders in check. This year, I was selected to be the gunman, an honor that I was no less than ecstatic to receive. Finally, I would get to live out my dream to be the next James Bond!

For some reason, in spite of this imminent threat, people still choose to run for the position of president. It must be peculiar to know exactly when and where your death will occur, but as a result, the assassination becomes more difficult each year as the president beefs up his or her security in hopes of being the one to finally escape this unfortunate fate.

This year, my year, was no different. I came up with the perfect strategy, with a series of relays that had to be carried to perfection in order for the plan to be carried out successfully (think Ocean's Eleven or The Italian Job). My fellow agents were flawless, and before I knew it, I was running down the hallway with my sniper rifle trying to get to the meeting hall in time to shoot the president as she processed in. I could feel the adrenaline coursing through my veins, and I pulled the trigger just as the president rounded the corner of the table she was to sit at. I watched her reel and fall backwards, bolting from the scene as soon as I knew she was dead.

The rest of my dream (oh yeah, did I mention that this was all a dream?), I sank into a deep depression. I could not believe that I had taken someone else's life, and I was utterly inconsolable. It was so upsetting that it was still bothering me this morning when I woke up. I've never had a dream where I've killed someone before, and even as thrilling as this kill was, I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

president...SHE?!...WHYYY SAMMAS

Anonymous said...

Yeah, something's wrong with you.