Xin Nian Kuai Le

Today is the first day of the new lunar calendar year, and I just got off of the phone with my parents. Apparently, while I was up late studying last night, they were partying with their friends, who had come over to eat jiao zi (dumplings) and nian gao (New Year's cake). Of course, no Chinese New Year is complete without the "CCTV New Year's Gala," which I suppose is the Asian version of "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve," only with the added bonus of comedy skits, acrobatics, and Chinese opera.

Kevin came into town today, and I guess I should have suggested that we eat at an Asian restaurant, but instead, we went to Mono Loco with Catherine, Ashley, and Nick. I'm pretty sure that Mexicans don't celebrate Chinese New Year, but they sure do make a mean burrito. I highly recommend the Bobby's crispy cod and spicy shrimp burrito. It's delicious and large enough for two meals, and that's saying a lot coming from me.

No comments: