Watson 110s, Part V

Well, it's the last day of the week, and who better to end this series with than my own roommate, NSG?

I have always been somewhat of an idealist. I went into college thinking that my roommate and I would quickly learn that we had a lot in common, become best friends, live together all four years, keep in touch even after we graduated, and watch our kids grow up together. This was as far from the truth as possible. NSG and I were nothing alike: me, the outgoing kid who didn't drink during his first year of college, and NSG, the seemingly shy kid who eventually found his niche when he pledged a fraternity.

Just as the speakers at the beginning of the school year promised, I was able to learn a lot from my roommate. For example, I learned that you should not keep a carpet in your dorm room, just in case your roommate decides to consume a little too much alcohol, come home, and pee all over the floor. In fact, MP and CR learned the same lesson a week later, when NSG did the same thing in their room.

Of course, by the time I found out about NSG's drinking habits, I had already signed a lease to live with him, JS, and CS during our second year. My learning process was not over, it seemed. In our new apartment, I discovered that alcohol and cooking could be a fiery combination. Literally. For some reason, whenever NSG came home after a night out, he would want to cook himself a pot of stew. Yet, he would often pass out before he finished cooking, leaving the stove on all night. Twice, I woke up to the sound of the smoke detector, ran into the kitchen, and found our stovetop and countertop ablaze. TWICE! It is truly a miracle that NSG never burned down the entire Venable Court complex.

NSG, you have proven to me that it is possible to live with someone for two years and still know nothing about him as a person. Yet, you provided me with an eventful college experience that I will never forget, and I thank you for that.

No comments: