Red and Yellow, Black and White

We got a break during school today to watch the inauguration of President Barack Obama (w00t!). I felt bad for him when he made two boo-boos in a row while taking the oath, but I thought his speech was awesome and inspiring. Civil rights advocate Rev. Joseph Lowery ended up stealing the show with the final words to his benediction:
We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right.

It's not the first time he's said those words, either; he used the same line at a Michelle Obama campaign appearance in Charlotte, North Carolina last May. My only question: have I been too tense? How can I make myself more mellow!?

Also, Rev. Lowery's speech reminded me of the hymn we always sang in Children's Church on Sundays:

Jesus loves the little children,
All the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white,
They are precious in his sight.
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spin your hamster wheel yellow man! You aren't paid to think! The raised nail attracts the hammer you don't want the hammer do you??

Anonymous said...

Sam, your blog is now attracting crazy people. How appropriate.