Hosea, Can You See?

I just got back from singing the National Anthem at the UVA vs. Brown basketball game with the Arrhythmics, our med school a capella group. It was fun, and we did a good job, but it just reaffirmed my dislike for our national anthem in general. Its range of one and a half octaves makes the melody really awkward for to sing, no matter what key it is in.

At least the song has some pretty awesome lyrics, and I would be lying if I said I didn't get goosebumps every time I hear it sung well. And at least our national anthem has words; those of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Spain, and San Marino are completely instrumental. BORING! And at least we don't share our national anthem with another country, like Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Ciskei, Transkei, and South Africa, which all use the same song. LAME! And at least we have a national anthem, because under Taliban rule, music was banned in Afghanistan, and having a national anthem would have been against the law. WEAK SAUCE!

Also, Happy Epiphany! Apparently the Twelve Days of Christmas start, not end, on December 25. Hooray for the visit of the wise men and their legacy of commercialization!

1 comment:

Mica said...

Med School a capella. I don't even know what to make of that. I hope you sing while you work on your cadaver.