My DVD Player Is a FOB

Catherine and Nick came over to watch a movie tonight, and it felt just like high school again. We perused all of Blockbuster before deciding on Forgetting Sarah Marshall, which Nick had already seen but recalled as being totally hilarious. The movie turned out to be pretty funny, but a lot of the jokes were ruined simply because the captions were on and we would get to read the punch lines before they were delivered.

It's kind of embarrassing that I spent half an hour trying to get rid of the captions and ultimately failed. In my defense, my dad purchased the DVD player in China so that he could watch his Chinese VCDs about the Three Kingdoms and the Mongol Conquest and whatever other crazy miniseries he enjoys while eating watermelon seeds. Anyway, the remote control and the menu were all in Chinese, and I managed to figure out how to do pretty much everything except for turning off the captions by mashing random buttons. I eventually surrendered and went to the expert, but when even my dad couldn't take the captions away, we gave up. Curse you Asians and your technology that can out-smart humans. Didn't any of you watch I, Robot!?

No comments: