Old Money

I spent this evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hill, the couple that endowed my Jefferson Scholarship. They had called me earlier this week to see if I would play piano at their annual Christmas party, and I of course obliged. How could I say no to the couple that had paid for my college tuition, a summer in Europe, and all of my living expenses for the past four years? It turns out they live in a giant brick mansion off of Cary Street, where all of the old money in Richmond resides. The house was, not surprisingly, impeccably furnished and beautifully decorated for the holidays.

Their family members gave further evidence in support of my theory that all rich people are beautiful. Each of the Hills' grandchildren was dressed to the nines, and all of them looked like they had walked straight out of a J. Crew catalog. I felt so painfully normal amongst such wealthy and attractive people.

Which is why one of my goals in life is to marry a rich and beautiful woman. Long live the spirit of Christmas!

No comments: