Engrish, Part 2

My parents recently returned from a trip to China to see my grandparents, and of course when I went home for Thanksgiving, I was forced to sit through a photo tour of their entire month in what felt like real time. Not that I'm one to talk, because I've done the exact same thing to them each time I've come back from any of my trips abroad. Wow, we really are Asian, aren't we?

Anyway, looking at their pictures reminded me of this photo that I took in the Beijing Botanical Gardens the last time I went to China. I think the most awkward part of documenting Engrish in action is that my aunts, uncles, and cousins always ask me, "Why are you taking a picture of that sign?" And then I have to explain to them that the translation makes no sense and how there's an entire genre of humor in America where we make fun of Asian-to-English translations. Is this done at the expense of the Chinese people? Yes. Is it hilarious anyway? Absolutely yes.

No comments: