National Security

I've always made fun of people who accidentally hit "Reply All." Especially when undergrad students thought they were e-mailing the teacher but had instead sent the message to the entire class, and their utter toolishness and suck-upness would be laid out for everyone to see.

Well, karma is a female dog, and it kicked me in the heinie this past summer. A bunch of my friends went to Hong Kong this summer, including Nick, who wrote one of those mass travel e-mails to let everyone know what they had been up to. Later that day, I receive the following e-mail:

From: Casscells, S. Ward, Assistant Secretary of Defense, OASD(HA)
Bravo Nick. If u need help in Thailand call me.
Uncle trip


How funny, I thought. The Assistant Secretary of Defense of the United States of America just accidentally hit "Reply All." Wait a minute... I just got an e-mail from the Assistant Secretary of Defense!? So I immediately wrote to Nick:

...your uncle is the Assistant Secretary of Defense? Remind me to call you if I ever get in trouble...

Five seconds later, I realized that I did not send that message to Nick; rather, I had sent it TO HIS UNCLE. Embarassed, I wrote this embarrassing follow-up:

Oops sorry I meant to send that to Nick!

He was kind enough to write me back:

Thx but i was the one who hit reply all.

All in all, not my brightest moment. Although, as Mr. Casscells pointed out, he was the one who replied all in the first place, and, as Catherine later pointed out, he used the words "u" and "thx." Apparently the government is totes into using abbrevs, too.

No comments: