Final Destination

I don't like driving. In fact, I avoid it whenever I can, and to say that I'm excited to get rid of my car when I move to New York City would be an understatement.

Even so, I really enjoy the drive I take to work at Orange County High School. I usually take Route 20, which is a nice, winding country road that you can go pretty fast on (the speed limit is 55mph for most of the way).

I was over halfway there today, just past Barboursville, when the unexpected happened. I was driving right behind a tow truck, enjoying the picturesque Virginia foothills around me. All of a sudden, wooden planks started flying off of the roof of the tow truck. A few thoughts crossed my mind:

1. Why the heck are there wooden planks sitting on the top of a tow truck?

2. Oh Lord, they're coming right at my windshield.

3. My entire life in one second.

4. I'm too young to die!

5. I need to swerve off the road to get out of the way of these flying planks.

Thanks to the grace of God, none of the planks hit my car. Indeed, at least as far as I could tell, none of the three cars following closely behind me were hit, either.

It was truly one of the most frightening moments of my life, and it came pretty darn close to being the last moment of my life as well. Well, anyway, I'm glad I survived, and I'm sure you are too.

...Right?

No comments: