Turkish Coffee

I met Anna, who moved back to Charlottesville while I was in Guatemala, for lunch today at Basil. I was pretty pooped from our sunrise hike, so I thought I'd order a cup of coffee. They don't have American coffee at Basil, so the waiter recommended that I try their Turkish coffee. He warned me of the silt but promised, "It won't hurt you."

Indeed, the silt didn't hurt me. However, he neglected to tell me that IT TASTES TERRIBLE. Seriously, Turkish coffee (or at least the kind they have at Basil) is disgusting. I think Anna put it best when she tried and and declared, "I feel like I'm drinking an ashtray."

Worst of all, when the waiter came back around, he asked me what I thought of the drink. I winced and said, "Um, it's very... distinct. I've never tasted anything like it before."

He should have picked up my drift and stopped there, but instead he pressured me even more: "And you like it, right?" I didn't have the guts to tell him no, so I lied and said that it tasted good. I'm ashamed of myself.

Well, needless to say, I will not be ordering Turkish coffee again anytime in the foreseeable future.

No comments: