Into the Woods

Ah, the weekend ended too quickly. I feel like I need another weekend to recover from this past weekend. But this is fourth year, and I must avoid all temptations to squander my youth.

Today's outdoor adventure took place on Dr. Holstege's property out near Wintergreen. We learned about making fires, purifying water, and building shelters. We even divided up into three teams and had a little competition to see who could build the safest shelters. I'd like to say that my team won, since we probably had the most structurally sound and insulated structure. On the other hand, we did build it on top of a few poison ivy plants that were poking out through the leaves, which would have been less than ideal to sleep in.


After the official "learning" part of the exercise was over, we got some time to play with a crossbow. Unfortunately, we lost our last arrow right before my turn to go, so I was the only person in the class who didn't get to fire the crossbow. Fourth year problems!

I did, however, get to try Kyle's compound bow. Yet this attempt at practicing weaponry was also foiled: my arms were too short, even with Kyle's help, to draw the string all the way back. I am so ashamed!


Well, at least the deer of the forest can rest assured knowing that I, Sammas, will not be coming after them with a bow and arrow anytime soon. And I'm sure that concern has been at the forefront of their minds for months.

1 comment:

Lee said...

I know i got some better pics of you with the bow than the one you posted, show me teh lulz!