The Beginning of the End

I've been waiting for this day for so long, and it's finally here: the day I finish med school!

I guess I technically finished two weeks ago when I received all of the credits I needed to graduate. I tacked Wilderness Medicine as an extra one on the end because it seemed fun, and what else would I be doing in my free time than try to be outdoors as much as possible anyway?

The "final" for the course involved a camping trip at Sherando Lake. We arrived yesterday to find a rescue scenario set up for us. We had to locate two "missing" hikers, stabilize them, and build a shelter for them to stay in overnight while we went for help.


We ended up staying pretty late afterwards playing Mafia and doing other campgrounds shenanigans, which may have been a bad idea, since we had to wake up this morning and compete in an adventure race that involved biking, kayaking, and orienteering to 18 different points. At each point we had to answer a question or tackle a clinical scenario before moving on to the next destination. Unfortunately, my team got really caught up on one of the coordinates and finished an hour and a half behind the other two teams. My pride is hurt, but not enough to cause any permanent damage.


I had originally wanted to stay the second night as well, but with the cold weather and the suboptimal sleeping conditions, everyone decided it would be better to just pack up early and come home tonight. And so it ends: I'm home and I'm officially done with medical school! Now to just relax for the next six weeks until graduation.

Oh wait, did I say "relax"? I meant arrange music for the Arrhythmics, revise the Mulholland Society constitution, complete my residency paperwork, and find a place to live in New York City. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

2 comments:

1st losers said...

"At least our team wasn't the slowest AND the dumbest..."

Sammas said...

TOO SOON!