I'M GOING TO COLUMBIA!

In case the title of this post isn't clear enough, I matched to my top choice of residency programs at Columbia University. Dare I say that this is the best day of my life? After being waitlisted at Columbia for undergrad and waitlisted at Columbia for med school, I'm finally going to move to the Big Apple for my general pediatrics training at the Children's Hospital of New York. Looks like third time's the charm!

Not everyone is quite as excited as me, though. Right after I found where I was going, I screamed for a while, hugged people for a while, blabbered to the NBC29 reporter who tried to interview me for a while, and then finally got away long enough to call my parents. This is how the phone conversation went [translated]:

Mom: Hello?
Sam: Mom, it's me! I matched into my number one choice at Columbia! I'm so excited!
[five second pause]
Sam: Mom, did you hear me?
Mom: So... does that mean you aren't going to Harvard?

All's well that ends well, though. Fifteen minutes later she called me back to tell me that she had been on the phone with all of her friends telling them the good news, and that she was really happy for me.

But seriously... so Asian.

No comments: