Los Caballos

Dr. Tun was kind enough to give me my last day in San Lucas Tolimán off of work.  So what did I do with it?

After breakfast, Tim and I rented some kayaks in town and took them out on the lake.  It was a beautiful but dangerous trip.  There was some really awesome houses carved into the sides of the mountain that we got to see as we rowed towards Agua Escondida.  The thing is, San Lucas sits on a bay of the lake, and coming back into that bay was nearly impossible.  The current kept pushing me back out, and no matter how hard I paddled, the farther I went from the dock.  I thought I was going to have to give up and spend the entire day on the lake, but eventually my superb physical prowess overcame Mother Nature and I made it back to the safety of the land.

After our kayaking excursion, Tim and I met up with Mark to go on a horseback riding adventure.  We were on our way to Santiago on the back of a pickup when all of a sudden we came upon a funeral procession.  We couldn't pass them, so we ended up getting to Santiago just after the lancha that we were going to take had embarked.  We had to wait an hour before we could go, which meant that our horseback riding trip started an hour late.  Luckily, the guide waited for us at the dock.  I wish I could say that we leapt off of the lancha onto the backs of our horses, Old Western-style, but in reality we just climbed into the saddles the normal way.


Our guide took us to some awesome miradors and even down to the beach and past a coffee plantation, but at the end of our trip, the horses became eager to go back.  So much so that they were basically running at full speed.  It was seriously the fastest I'd ever gone on horseback, which was fun and exciting but at the same time terrifying because my hat kept flying off and I thought my camera was going to be thrown from my shoulder.  We ended up getting back to town so early that we had 30 minutes to spare, so we decided to take our horses for a brief saunter through the city.  Riding horses along the narrow streets of San Pedro through a web of pedestrians, tuk-tuks, and chicken buses has to be up there on the list of coolest things I've ever done.


By the time we got back to the dock, there was only one public lancha left that was supposed to depart at 6pm.  We got back to Santiago at 6:27pm, just in time to catch the last pickup back to San Lucas.  Talk about cutting it close!  And all because of a funeral procession.

No comments: