La Fábrica y El Fútbol

I wasn't kidding when I said I was gonna make the most of my last few days in Xela.  Yesterday morning I played hookie (sort of) by going on a school trip during our classes to the glass factory.  I went with and paid for my teacher as well, so it's totally fair.

A guide explained the glass-making process in Spanish, and after she was done, the teachers asked me to translate into English what she had said to the rest of the group.  I would have gladly done so, except for the fact that I had been too busy taking pictures to listen to what she had been saying.  I can't help it; glass blowing is so cool!


After the tour, we played (aka spent a lot of money) in the factory gift shop.  I didn't buy anything, but I did find a sombrero-shaped glass product that fit my head perfectly.


After classes ended, I tried to do my homework as quickly as possible, because the Xela soccer team had a home game last night.  I took advantage of the opportunity to have my first taste of Guatemalan street food (no worries, I prophylaxed with Pepto Bismol).


Once inside the stadium, Evan and I went for the liter-sized Gallos.  It's crazy: between the ticket, dinner, and beer, I spent a total of Q52.50 (or about $7.50).


Unfortunately, the game ended in a disappointing tie.  I'm okay with it, though, because I got a Club Xelajú soccer jersey out of it, and I couldn't be prouder of my new team, the Superchivos!

No comments: