El Circo

Last night I went to the circus.

No, you did not misread that.  The circus happens to be in town this week, so obviously I had to go check it out.

Before I go any further, I must say that this circus was exactly as crazy as I would expect a Guatemalan circus to be.  I lived in constant fear that the tent would collapse on me.  It didn't help that one of the workers kept making us move seats so that we wouldn't be hit if the support poles fell.



The circus had many attractions.  Sadly, animals were not one of them.  Myra, one of the nurses at the clinic, warned me not to sit in the front because there might be tigers.  Unfortunately, there were no tigers, no elephants, and not even donkeys or dogs, which other people said they had seen earlier in the week.

But they had trapeze artists!


They had clowns!


They had the best juggler I've ever seen!


They had a girl who swung around on a ring that was being held up by three men to the tune of cheesy 90s music!


They even had dancing Smurfs!


And much, much more.  Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I would get to see a circus in San Lucas Tolimán.  I guess I just haven't been dreaming wildly enough.

No comments: