La Chocolatería de Doña Pancha


Yesterday evening the school sponsored its best excursion yet: a trip to a local chocolate shop.  We learned all about the discovery and evolution of chocolate since the time of the Mayans, which was exciting and all, but the real highlight was of course eating the chocolate.  Not surprisingly, chocolate fondue with fresh fruit was part of the tasting.


Towards the end of the visit, we were given balls of chocolate dough and had the opportunity to make our own customized chocolate bars.  The owner then froze them for us to take home.  We all made desserts of different shapes and sizes, but I think Steph's fat baby chocolate was by far the most memorable.


In fact, her creation was so ugly that it broke my camera.  Just kidding.  Sort of.  Sadly, after taking the above photo, my camera did in fact break, although it had nothing to do with Steph's handiwork.  The 18-70mm lens that came with my Sony α-200 just started making a really weird grinding noise whenever I turned my camera on or off.

I did a thorough internet search when we got back to Celas Maya, and it turns out the infinity-stop on the lens is not strong enough for the camera's autofocus motor and will at times break with normal use.  My options now are to take the remainder of my pictures on the trip either using the manual focus on my regular lens or switching entirely to my wide-angle lens, neither of which is ideal.

On the plus side, now I get to start shopping for a new camera lens.  Hooray for the inappropriate use of student loans!

No comments: