¡Estoy Aquí!

Here I am in Quetzaltanango (or Xela)!  My trip here wasn't very eventful.  As predicted, I slept the entire flight from Washington to Houston.  I tried to do the same on the flight from Houston to Guatemala City, but the woman sitting next to me did everything she could to make sure that didn't happen.  I typically enjoy talking to fellow travelers, but not when I'm exhausted and especially not when the fellow traveler tells the most boring stories of all time.  I wish she'd picked up on my body language: the reading of a book, the gazing listlessly out the window, the closing of my eyes.  But apparently she interpreted this to mean I wanted to hear more stories about her friends that I've never met.  Sigh.

Emi, Kate, Steph, and Tracey all arrived in Guatemala City yesterday as well.  We enjoyed some local cuisine, spent the night at Patricias Bed & Breakfast, and took a four-and-a-half bus ride this morning to Xela.  Jessica, our in-country coordinator, gave us a brief orientation and then set us loose to get some lunch.  After indulging ourselves and exploring a little bit of the city, we relaxed in the cafe at Celas Maya, our Spanish school, and waited for our host families to come pick us up.


Of course, everyone else's families have already arrived, and I'm still waiting.  On the bright side, I now have time to catch up on e-mails and blogging using the free Internet at Celas Maya.  It looks like everything always works out for the best in the end.

No comments: