I'm Still Alive

Yes, I know, I haven't blogged all weekend.  But it's only because I've found myself alternating between periods of feasting and periods of severe food coma.

It all started with dinner at Petit Pois Restaurant on Thursday, my first fancy dinner out in God knows how long.  Kathryn and I split two appetizers: the Mixed Greens Salad with Beets, Pine Nuts and Goat Cheese and the Burgundy Snails in a Herb Garlic Broth served with Grilled Bread.  I had the cassoulet for my entree (I'd never even heard that word before), and of course we had to split some ice cream with chocolate sauce for dessert.  The best thing of all is that Kathryn works there, so my very large food baby came with a very sharp discount.

Friday meant it was time to celebrate a semester of hard work with an Arrhythmics holiday potluck.  Once again, I succeeded in eating so much food that I was uncomfortable whether I chose to sit or stand.  Also, I should have known that when I invited over a group a singers, our meal would seamlessly segue into a lively sing-along.  At some point the song selections went down the Disney direction, inspiring me to hoist Titan as high as I could during The Circle of Life.


And then there was the meal to end all meals.  It hadn't started out that way: six of us came up with the idea to have a mussels and Belgian beer night.  We prepared enough bread, salad, pasta, and mussels for all of our friends, but just as we were sitting down to eat, we realized that none of us had called our friends to actually invite them to dinner.  At that point, everyone we called had either already made dinner plans or were actually in the process of eating said dinner plans.  So what choice did we have but to eat all of the food we had prepared for a group twice our size?  We did what we had to do, and this is what six pounds of consumed mussels looks like.


Sigh, every meal I eat is far too rich in salt and butter.  First world problems!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

"Cassoulet" links back to your blog!! Good trick, Sammas.

Sammas said...

haha opps. it is fixed.