Kindness of a Stranger

What a crazy day!

I went to Randall Island with Cal, Jim, and Teie to watch them play football in their local league.  After a pretty devastating loss, we headed to Swig to satiate our hunger with some delicious grub and to drown our sorrows with some pitchers.

On the way back, the worst thing in the world happened: I left my wallet in the cab, and I didn't realize it until we were upstairs in the apartment.  None of us remembered the taxi's number or the driver's name, so we were at the mercy of fate.  I felt very little hope, and I knew that I needed my wallet back, because not only did it have my cash, debit card, and credit card in it, but also my driver's license, which is the only form of identity that I have with me in NYC.  Without it, I can't get into bars, which is bad enough in itself, but even worse, I can't get onto airplanes.

A half hour later, I got a call.  I don't remember it, but Jim says that when I looked at my cell phone, I excitedly yelled, "It's a random number!"  It was actually an officer, who notified me that a woman getting out of a cab had dropped it off at the police sub-station in Times Square.  I was overjoyed!  Within an hour of losing my wallet, I had it back in my hands, thanks to the kindness of a complete stranger.

Thank you, ma'am!  I will pass on your kindness by punching Jim in the face at some point tonight.

No comments: