Why I Like Apatosauruses

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a paleontologist.  DUH!  Who didn't?

My favorite period was the Jurassic period and my favorite genus was the Apatosaurus, commonly known as the Brontosaurus.


Alright, you know the drill.  Three reasons why I wanted to study the Apatosaurus:

1. It was one of the largest land mammals that ever existed, weighing approximately the same as four elephants.  In fact, it was once believed that the Apatosaurus was too large to support its own weight and must have lived partially submerged in swamp water, as pictured above (this is no longer believed to be true).  Anyway, little kid obsessed with giant dinosaur: it just makes sense.

2. It was an herbivore.  A gentle giant, if you will.  Notice how mean the Tyrannasaurus Rex and the Velociraptors are in Jurassic Park, yet how happy Timmy and Lex are when they awaken to see the Apatosauruses feeding.

3. One of my favorite childhood movies was The Land Before Time, and Littlefoot just happens to be a Longneck.  What an endearing character!  His bravery against Sharptooth, his love for treestars, his mistaking of his own shadow for Mama Longneck... it brings a tear to my eye.


Hmm, all this reminiscing makes me really want to watch the movie again.  Also, FernGully: The Last Rainforest.  Ooh ooh, and also The Brave Little Toaster!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

land before time! jurassic park! and a last minute shoutout to fern gully?! a post after my own heart.

Christin said...

when i was little, my brother and i would play dinosaurs. he would be the trex and i would be the anklyosaurus, so i would try to trip him with my club tail (aka my skip-it) while he would try to eat me. and ONE TIME, i won. also, he was captain of his high school football team, and i was 3. so this win was a big one.

anklyosaurus 4 life.