The Great Debate

Every day these past two months, I have seen something that reminds me why I came in to medical school wanting to be a surgeon.  But then I see something else that reminds me why that would be the worst idea in the world.  So, using today as an example, here is a glimpse of what goes on inside my head on a daily basis:

- I come into work at 5:30, and I'm not early, I'm actually half an hour late.  HATE.
- Rounds start at 6:15 instead of the usual 6:00 so I end up having enough time to preround, plus we're done seeing all of our patients by the time the OR opens at 7:15.  LOVE.
- The one surgery we have will take something between six and 12 hours.  HATE.
- We use the Argon laser cauterizer.  LOVE.
- When I come back from surgical pathology, I have to do another full scrub because I'm allergic to the Avagard lotion.  HATE.
- While on call, I get to participate on a burn trauma.  LOVE.

So it all balanced out to a net experience of zero.  Welp, at least I'm ending the night on a good note!

No comments: