Beau of the Ball

I love spring for many reasons.  The weather is nice, the flowers are in bloom, and the Foxfield Races are just around the Corner (pun intended).  But let's not forget the last reason I love spring at the University: it's the season for banquets.

I have to admit, though: getting dressed for these events always creates a bit of a quandary.  I love black tie events, but I honestly hate dressing up in a tuxedo.  Not because it's uncomfortable, but because every time I put one on, I feel like I'm getting ready to go onstage for a concert.  I've been trained to associate tuxedos with either sitting at a piano bench or standing in the choir risers.  So I decided to spice things up tonight by wearing... gasp... a purple bow tie.

It was no easy decision.  I consulted the fashion triumvirate of Mary Virginia, Christin, and Harris: three people who know a lot more about dressing nicely than myself.  With their blessings (and the help of Rule #5 at eHow.com), I stepped out of my comfort zone this evening and donned one of Timmy's purple bow ties paired with a classic black cummerbund.


I think it turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself.  And oh, I do.

No comments: