Obstetrics & Gynecology Recap

Ah, the end of another month.  And arguably the most enjoyable month of third year.  I just finished my OB/GYN rotation, which I enjoyed for several reasons, but most importantly because it was the best-organized clerkship I've been on.  I really liked that they told you exactly was expected of you as a third year student, which kept me on task and motivated the entire rotation.  And now, for the usual:

Pros:
- You get to deliver babies.  Enough said.
- You get to do surgery without having to round at 5am.  Win.
- You have the perfect mix of clinic time (real clinic, not just one day a week where you rush through all of your pre-op and post-op patients) and OR time (again, without having to be at the hospital every waking hour).

Cons:
- Treating only female patients.  For the rest of your life.
- Working with almost only female colleagues.  For the rest of your life.
- Having to explain why you'd ever want to be an OB/GYN doctor to everyone you met.  For the rest of your life.

All in all, a very alluring field for the short term, but not a very practical one personally.  Oh well, at least it made for one of the most exciting and rewarding four weeks of my life.  Even if that mother never e-mailed me that picture we took together after I delivered her baby... what an ungrateful patient!

No comments: