Pediatrics Recap

Whew, it's been a while since I've done one of these.  Let's see if I still remember how it goes.

Pros:
- Kids are fun!  Kids are healthy!  And when kids do get sick, they get better!  Unlike the adults I saw on inpatient medicine, the majority of the patients I saw on inpatient pediatrics came in, got better, and were discharged within a matter of days.  Win!
- Unlike adults, whose Type II diabetes and coronary artery disease are frequently due to their own poor lifestyle choices, kids aren't usually responsible for their viral gastroenteritis or Kawasaki syndrome.  That means I don't have to keep myself from yelling, "YOU DID THIS!" when I see them in clinic.
- Every pediatrician I met has been fun to work with.  And when you're spending hours upon hours at the hospital, it's kind of nice to get along with your colleagues.  Also, their maturity level is often comparable to that of a preteen, much like my own.

Cons:
- I'm not sure if I'm entirely ready to write off the adult population.  They can be cool, too!
- When you get the kid who doesn't get better within a few days, like the ones with traumatic brain injury or other debilitating diseases, it's a bummer.  A real bummer.
- Obnoxious parents.  Enough said.

Overall, I really enjoyed the rotation.  Who knows?  If my top two choices of Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine don't end up working out, this is certainly a viable third option.

1 comment:

Janice Dean said...

You would be the most freaking fun pediatrician EVER! Just saying...