In the Manner of the Church

Caroline convinced me to start watching The Sing-Off, an a cappella competition on NBC.  If you didn't know, "a cappella" is actually Italian for "in the manner of the Church."  Ironically, there is nothing holy about some of the groups on the show.  Some of them are downright horrible.

Complaint #1: On the Rocks, famous for their YouTube hit, Bad Romance, was actually awful onstage.  Why did they go so flat?  What were all of those wrong notes doing in there?  Maybe it would have sounded better if they'd spent more time on the quality of the music and less on the Lady Gaga-esque theatrics.

Complaint #2: Pitch Slapped, a group out of the Berklee College of Music.  You'd think a group of student musicians would be a lot better than what I saw.  Not that their singers were terrible, but their arrangement just lacked... color.  They performed Good Girls Go Bad, and although their voices sounded better than the Arrhythmics, I have to say that my own arrangement of the song was a lot fuller and more exciting than theirs was.

I'm sorry, Nicole Scherzinger: music doesn't bring us together like you said.  It just makes me feel better than other musicians.  Except for the guys from Committed.  I love their harmonies, and my money's on them for the grand prize.

No comments: