Clean Catch

The poor baby.  He's had the most difficult first two months of any infant I've ever met.  First, he was born with duodenal atresia and gastroschisis, requiring emergent surgery.  Then, he had a myocardial infarction and coded on the floor.  His recovery was complicated by cardiac tamponade, which had to be treated with pericardiocentesis.  And he's still never been home because of continuing failure to thrive.

In spite of all this, he's still the cutest baby in the world.  At least, that's what I thought until today.  I had just picked him up and set him down in my lap.  I was gently rocking him back and forth, trying to get him to go to sleep, when I suddenly felt unseasonably warm.  One second later, I came to my senses, and realized that he had peed through his diaper and all over me.

Fortunately, I was wearing scrubs that I could easily change out of.  Unfortunately, his pee stain laid directly on my crotch since he'd been resting in my lap.  I had no choice but to cover myself awkwardly during my whole walk to the scrub machine and locker room so that it wouldn't look like this 24-year-old in a white coat had just peed himself.

2 comments:

Janice Dean said...

Guess who also was born with duodenal atresia? Me! I didn't have all the other problems of this baby, but I'm sure baby Janice peed on somebody at some point. :-D

Garrett said...

Sam peed his pants!!!

And, "failure to thrive" is the silliest medical term ever to be created. What a diss!