An Exercise in Futility

I'm going to gripe, so just bear with me here.

It rained 1.5 inches last night.  I didn't even know that precipitation was in the forecast until I woke up in the middle of the night with water dripping from the ceiling onto my face.

Students on Internal Medicine don't get parking spots, so I had to walk to work this morning.  My shoes were so soaked that they didn't dry out by noontime, and they were beginning to smell like rainwater.  I had to ask permission to go home and change after lunch.

My team was on call today, but we didn't admit any patients this afternoon.  Just before we were to get off at 7pm, Tri paged us with an admission from the Emergency Department (thanks a lot, "friend").  We didn't finish working him up until 9:30pm.

As we were leaving the hospital, my resident informed me that since our patient was here for a cystic fibrosis exacerbation, we would be presenting him to the Pulmonary Medicine attending instead of Dr. Powers, our General Medicine attending.  Which means that two weeks into our rotation, and I still haven't presented a full history, physical, assessment, and plan of a patient that I worked up to the attending that will be determining my Internal Medicine rotation grade.  Great, I'm glad that my plan to appear as mediocre as possible is meeting with no resistance.

I got home at 10:30pm only to discover that my landlord hadn't fixed the leak in my bedroom ceiling, and it's actually worse than it was last night.

Can we just go ahead and transfer me to hospice with comfort care measures only?

No comments: